Matcha Checkerboard Cookies
It takes a bit of time and effort, but making matcha checkerboard cookies is entertaining and rewarding! They are cute and delicious and very fun to make!
- 200g (7oz) butter, room temperature
- 125g (4.5oz) powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 170g (6 oz) flour for plain, shifted
- 155g (5⅓oz) flour, shifted
- 15g (1/2 oz) matcha powder, shifted
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cream the butter in a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Add the 170g shifted flour to one half of the dough and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap the plain dough with a sheet of plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Add the 170g flour and 15g matcha to the remaining half of the dough and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap the matcha dough with a sheet of plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Knead the chilled dough and roll into 1cm thick sheet on a flat surface, With a sharp knife, cut the plain cookie dough 1cm strips (we recommend using a ruler).
- Do the same with the matcha dough.
- Add 1 tablespoon water to the egg white and mix well.
- Arrange the plain and matcha cookie dough strips to your desired checkerboard pattern, alternating the colors. Use the egg white mixture as adhesive.
- Wrap the assembled cookie strips with a sheet of plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 340℉.
- With a sharp knife, slice the dough into 1cm pieces and place them on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Try not to burn them!