Grind loose leaf hojicha in a cleaned electric coffee grinder to make hojicha powder (make sure the grinder is unplugged when you clean it). Hojicha Swiss roll is sweet, roasty and fluffy!
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 90g (3 oz) sugar
- 50g (1.8 oz) - 1 tablespoon Softasilk flour
- 1 tablespoon hojicha powder (for matcha sponge cake: 1 tablespoon matcha)
- 180 cc (6 oz) heavy cream
- 30g (1 oz) sugar
- Heat the oven to 350℉.
- Make a 12" x 12" pan with parchment paper (See our news on A Pan with Parchment Paper. There is a link below).
- Beat the eggs and sugar together for 15 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed. The mixture becomes thick and pale.
- Add Softasilk and hojicha powder (for matcha cake, Softasilk and matcha) and beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Place the parchment pan on a baking sheet. Pour the batter into the parchment pan and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make the filling. Whip the heavy cream with the sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Spread a sheet of parchment paper on the kitchen counter and turn the baked sponge cake onto it. Carefully peel off the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake.
- Spread the cream onto the cooled sponge cake evenly using a scraper. Scrape off some cream from the far side (the end of roll).
- Start rolling up the cake by standing the bottom part (the side closest to you) 1 inch first, and then just roll up the cake by gently pull the paper away from you.
- Wrap the cake with a sheet of plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Cut into slices and serve!