Matcha Mille Crepe Cake; a soft and rich combination of matcha and cream. These crepes are matcha flavored and the cream is plain vanilla. It is a fun project to work on during a long weekend and the end result is so rewarding! This recipe makes one 6 inch diameter cake.
- 80g (3oz) flour
- 10g (3 teaspoons) corn starch
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 35g (2 tablespoons) sugar
- 1 cup (250cc) milk
- 2 eggs,
- 20g (2/3oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 45g (2½ tablespoons) sugar
- 300 cc (1⅕ cups) heavy cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, corn starch and matcha powder, sifting. Add the sugar and mix.
- Add the half of milk and mix. Add the eggs and mix. Add the melted butter and mix. Add the second half of milk and mix well.
- Strain the batter and refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat a non stick pan (or well seasoned frying pan) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, oil the pan and wipe excess oil with paper towel.
- Scoop the crepe batter with a ladle and pour it to cover the pan. Rotate the pan to make a thin crepe.
- Cook the crepe for 2-3 minutes and flip with a spatula. Cook for about 1 minute and transfer to a cutting board.
- When crepes are done, stack them in 2-3 layers on a cutting board and cut off the outside border with a knife, using an upside-down bowl/plate that are slightly smaller than the crepes as a guide. (If you don't mind a bit of irregular shapes or want to make the cake look rustic, you can skip this step.) We used a 6" cake pan as a guide.
- In a medium bowl, put the sugar and heavy cream. Beat the cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place one crepe on a plate and spread the whipped cream. Place another crepe on top and spread the cream. Repeat till the last crepe. (We gently pressed the crepe each time with the removable bottom from the 6" cake pan to make the cake even on the height.)
- Cover the cake with remaining creme. Refrigerate for 2 hours and sprinkle the cake with matcha powder.