Matcha Mille Crepe Cake
Matcha mille crepe cake is a gorgeous cake made with thin stacked layers of buttery crepes, with sweet and flavorful matcha cream in between. It is creamy and scrumptious! Remember to use lukewarm milk.! If the milk is cold, the butter will hardens and if it is too hot, eggs will set. This recipe makes a 7.5" cake. Enjoy!
- 150g (5⅓ oz) all purpose flour
- 80g (3 oz) sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk (lukewarm)
- 40g (1½ oz) melted butter
- some vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 60g (2 oz) sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- extra matcha powder to sprinkle on top
- In a large bowl, put the flour, sugar and salt. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the milk in 4-5 times and combine well each time.
- Add the melted butter and mix well. Strain and refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat a non stick pan (or well seasoned frying pan) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, oil the pan and wipe excess oil with paper towel.
- Scoop the crepe batter with a ladle and pour it to cover the pan. Rotate the pan to make a thin crepe.
- Cook the crepe for 2-3 minutes and flip with a spatula. Cook for about 1 minute and transfer to a cutting board.
- When crepes are done, stack them in 2-3 layers on a cutting board and cut off the outside border with a knife, using an upside-down bowl/plate that are slightly smaller than the crepes as a guide. (If you don't mind a bit of irregular shapes or want to make the cake look rustic, you can skip this step.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the matcha powder and sugar.
- Add the heavy cream in four times and mix well each time.
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place one crepe on a plate and spread the whipped cream. Place another crepe on top and spread the cream. Repeat till the last crepe.
- Cover the cake with remaining creme. Sprinkle the cake with matcha powder and refrigerate for 2 hours.